I posted a couple of weeks back that I was soon to be the recipient of a new gigabit symmetric link to the intertubes – and there was a bit of a caveat of their use of CG-NAT due to the exhaustion of the IPv4 address space. To compensate I’ve
Everyone who reads this website will know about the cost of living crisis – this is a global problem brought about by the combination of the Covid-19 pandemic, and the unfortunate situation in Ukraine at the present time. For us in the UK, the costs of energy have skyrocketed in
For 90% of the time I’ve run this website, it’s been run from a server in my house, over a domestic-grade ADSL connection. The problem has always been the very asymmetric download/upload bandwidth provided by domestic ISPs. Normally it’s about a 10:1 ratio these days (the current connection is 350MBit
Having had a wee issue with Jellyfin Media Server’s database this week after an upgrade, I decided to avoid the requirement for a 24 hour database rebuild, to start backing things up with Borgmatic. Borgmatic is a handy wrapper script to automate BorgBackup.
Jellyfin Borgmatic Config
# List of source directories to backup.
# Path to BorgBackup repository
# Retention policy for how many backups to keep.
# List of checks to run to validate your backups.
# Custom preparation scripts to run.
- systemctl stop jellyfin
- systemctl start jellyfin
This is a very simple configuration,
So, it’s time to finish off the upgrades to the core storage server on my network. Now a new motherboard, CPU & RAM have been obtained (MSI GA-X58-USB3), Core i7 950, 12GB), along with new SAS/SATA HBAs for the disk rack I can get everything fitted into place. Proper branded
So I figured it was time to get a hardware update sorted for my network’s core storage server, which I have posted about before. The way I had the drives anchored to steel rails really doesn’t make moving or replacing disks easy, so a proper case needed to be sourced.
On my home network I have a system running PiHole – a DNS server that blocks all unwanted traffic, such as ads. Since I have an official Pi LCD with a broken touch panel, I decided to use the bare LCD as a status display for PiHole. This requires some
For years now I’ve used Virtualmin for my hosting requirements, and have made use of Procmail to filter my mail into folders (it’s the default, and rather tightly integrated). The only issue with this system is having to login to two different things for mail: I use Rainloop Webmail for
Since I’ve been working on the backend servers a lot over the past few days, I’ve decided it was time to get some broken things on the blog fixed. Firstly, the radiation monitor graphs. Originally I was using a Raspberry Pi to grab the data from the local monitor, and
This was originally going to be part of another post, but it ended up getting more complex than I originally intended so it’s been given it’s own. I go into into many of my personal security practices, on both my public facing servers & personal machines. Since the intertubes are
Since Sentora is still stuck on an old version of PHP, this script will update the system to the newer v5.6, via the Remi repository, as most things are deprecating support for older PHP versions at this point. Suhosin will also be recompiled for the new PHP version.
Sentora PHP Upgrade Script
echo "Upgrading PHP to version 5.6. Please Wait..."
sudo rpm -Uvh remi-release-7*.rpm
yum --enablerepo=remi,remi-php56 update
yum --enablerepo=remi,remi-php56 upgrade
echo "Recompiling Suhosin for PHP 5.7..."
wget -nv -O suhosin.zip https://github.com/stefanesser/suhosin/archive/suhosin-0.9.37.zip
unzip -q suhosin.zip
rm -f suhosin.zip
phpize &> /dev/null
./configure &> /dev/null
make &> /dev/null
rm -rf suhosin-suhosin-0.9.37
echo "Restarting Web Server Services..."
systemctl restart httpd
I’m making some changes to my hosting services, I’ve been testing Sentora, as it’s much more user friendly, if a little more limited in what it’s capable of doing, vs my go-to admin panel over the past 6+ years, Virtualmin. I noticed that SpamAssassin isn’t set up on a Sentora
I posted a while back a teardown of the VM Superhub 2 router, as VM has “upgraded” to a rebranded Arris TG2492S/CE CM. Alas Virgin Media in their wisdom have decided that simple router features like being able to change the LAN subnet & DHCP server range are far too
It’s been 4 months since I did a rejig of my storage server, installing a new 16-port SATA HBA to support the disk drives. I mentioned the factory fan the card came with in my previous post, and I didn’t have many hopes of it surviving long. The heatsink card
I’ve been running my own VPN so I can access my home-based servers from anywhere with an internet connection (not to mention, in this day & age of Government snooping – personal privacy & increased security). I’m on a pretty quick connection from Virgin Media here in the UK, currently
For some time now I’ve been running a large disk array to store all the essential data for my network. The current setup has 10x 4TB disks in a RAID6 array under Linux MD. Up until now the disks have been running in external Orico 9558U3 USB3 drive bays, through
Just a quick note for the regular (and not so regular) readers: My server infrastructure is currently going through some migration & upgrade processes, so for the next few days the site might be a little on the slow side, but hopefully I can get everything sorted out quickly! During
My main bulk storage for the home LAN is a bank of 4TB drives, set up in a large RAID6 array. Due to a brownout this evening on the +12v supply for one of the disk banks, I’ve had to start rebuilding two of the disks. The total array size
There have been quite a few updates to the hosting solution for this site, which is hosted locally in my house, from the above setup, in a small comms rack, to a new 22U half rack, with some hardware upgrades to come. Core switch here has been removed, with the